Friday, April 3, 2020

My Appreciation for Museums

Alex Ardoin
Posted: 4/3/2020

As a follow up to my previous post for this blog, I would like to talk about why museums are important to me and how I developed an appreciation for them. As a tidbit of background information, I’m originally from Lafayette, Louisiana (true born and raised Cajun) and moved to Pensacola in the summer of 2017. I’m a Mechanical Engineering student at the University of West Florida and my association with the UWF Historic Trust began as a student employee. The only knowledge I had of Pensacola at the time was that the beaches were incredible and that it is the home of the Blue Angels. What better way to learn about a brand-new town than working in and amongst the stories and history?!

I very quickly realized that Pensacola has a storied past and has claim to some very important history to our wonderful nation. Probably the most touted claim to fame is that Pensacola is the oldest multi-year European settlement in the Continental United States (sorry St. Augustine!). But that is quite literally only the beginning to the stories Pensacola has to offer. The Spanish, French, and British all had a hand in early Pensacola history. The town and area played a role in both the Revolutionary and Civil Wars and is home to three historic forts, although only two still stand today.

Pensacola has played an important role in Navy operations with nearby NAS Pensacola which houses the Blue Angels and an aviation museum that contains an array of aircraft. Palafox Street and the neighborhoods surrounding Seville Square have seen many generations grace their buildings and green spaces. The archaeological efforts throughout the downtown area have recovered artifacts from the settlements of the European explorers.

All of these parts of Pensacola and many more are being recorded and preserved by the wonderful people at the Historic Trust. If it weren’t for their efforts, I would have possibly never learned about the rich history that Pensacola has to offer. I’ve discovered so much from walking through the museums that are a part of our complex. I’ve had the chance to speak with some of our historians as they share their knowledge and some of the lesser known stories of the area. 

Through my fortune of having worked as part of the UWF Historic Trust, I’ve developed a deep appreciation for museums and their role in educating the world on where we come from. As a result, I always search for museums whenever I look at travel destinations and will make sure to set aside time to visit them. Museums are a wonderful way to learn the stories of an area and its people. We should all try to pay them a visit and support their efforts for preservation. You just might be surprised what you learn when you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment