Wednesday, April 8, 2020

A Hidden Rural Paradise

Alyssa Webb
Posted: 4/8/2020



In the spring of 2017, I was accepted as a student at the University of West Florida. Shortly after choosing my major and meeting with my adviser, I received an email about a part-time job opening at a museum in Milton. I have lived in Milton my entire life and had only been to this museum once, two years prior to becoming an Argo at UWF; I had actually forgotten that it existed! I decided to apply for the job, because the description mentioned that my work schedule would be planned around my class schedule and it seemed like a pretty interesting job, especially for a history major. Not long after I applied, the Museum Educator called me and we set up an interview.

I have always been extremely shy and reserved. I hated speaking to people I did not know, the thought of talking to a large group of people made me sick, and I really didn’t know how I would survive at a university where I would probably be required to give presentations. That being said, when tours and greeting guests was mentioned in the interview with the Museum Educator, my heart dropped to my stomach. I’m not sure what I expected or why that surprised me, but my brain went into panic mode at the thought of having to give a tour. Me? Talk to strangers? You’re kidding. But something pushed me to say yes when the job was offered. With my heart pounding so loud I thought for sure the Museum Educator could hear, I shook her hand and accepted.

About a week or so later, I began my first shift at Arcadia Mill Archaeological Site. I learned the opening and closing procedures, how to work a cash register, and the history of the site. My coworkers made each shift fun and they always gave me new and interesting tidbits of information. I genuinely enjoyed each shift and looked forward to being there again for the next one. Finally the day came that I had been both dreading and looking forward to… the day of my tour certification. I was excited and completely terrified at the same time! I had to give a tour to the Museum Educator. Seems simple enough right? Not to me. The only thought that kept going through my mind was, “She knows everything about the site! How can I possibly act like I’m giving a tour to someone who knows nothing?” I finished short of the requirements needed to pass, but the second time around (a couple weeks later) I passed!

From then on, my favorite times at Arcadia were when I was able to give someone a tour. I completely fell in love with it! Gone was the girl who hated speaking to people. Arcadia helped me open up and step out of my shell. I loved interacting with guests and sharing the history of the Arcadia Mill. I gained a confidence through working at Arcadia that I had never known before. Tours (especially school tours) allowed me the opportunity to learn and practice skills that I will need when I become a teacher. I developed skills that I had always dreamed of having.


Arcadia (which means “rural paradise” in Greek) has helped me in ways I had never imagined when I first applied for the job. I have grown so much in the almost three years that I have been there. I am so heartbroken over the trials we have had to endure lately, and I honestly cannot imagine Milton without Arcadia. The Mill has become a second home to me, a place I have grown to love, and I’m looking forward to being there again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment