Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Museum Store Favorites

Jessie Drossos
Posted: 4/14/2020


Happy Tuesday!  My name is Jessie Drossos and this is my first blog.  I am considered desk staff when the museums are open and would be working the front desk when you enter any of the downtown museums. I am not a student, but I am a semi-retired devotee of history. I have been a ghost tour guide for over 15 years (way before UWF took over the downtown museums). I absolutely love my job! I get to welcome people from all over the world. Literally I’ve meet people from England, Japan, Australia, France, Slovenia, Canada and, of course, from all over the United States. I get to share my love of history and Pensacola. I’m not a native though my dad is from one of the pioneer families of Santa Rosa County. I was originally born in Marietta, Georgia, but I married a native and absolutely think there isn’t a better place to be. I’m always surprised when “locals” come by and have never been to any of our museums. Hopefully, one of the “good” things that have come out of this time that we have had to slow down and stay home is more people will learn about the gem known as the “Historic Pensacola Village.   
Now the museums are not open right now, but I want to talk to you about our gift shops. We have gift shops in four of our museums: T.T. Wentworth, Pensacola Museum of Art, Pensacola Children’s Museum and Tivoli High House. These are great places to pick up some fun and different items. I want to tell you about two such items we have for sale.
The first one is one of my favorites.  As many of may not know, we are number one!  That’s right!  We were the first settlement in North American.  Tristian DeLuna landed here in 1559.  Now many of you may shake your heads and say wait, what about St. Augustine? Well yes, St. Augustine’s is considered to be the first “permanent settlement” in North America, but they weren’t the first settlement.  And we have an awesome t-shit that says just that. It’s says “1. Pensacola.  2. St. Augustine.” It is black and we have it in short sleeves or long sleeves.  
Now I love to read and love books. And we have some great books in our gift shops. One of the books is named “Lost in Heaven”. It is a book about James Polkinghorne, Jr.. Mr. Polknghorne grew up in Pensacola.  He was a bellhop at the famous San Carlos Hotel and graduated from B. T. Washington High School. He was attending college at Florida A & M when he enlisted n the army.  He was sent to Tuskegee where he became one of the famous Tuskegee Airman. His plane disappeared over Italy in 1944. He was 22 years old.  

The writer of the book, Leo Murphy, who also served as an instructor at NAS and has written books about naval aviation history in Pensacola was asked by an interviewer if he knew anything about the history of black aviators. He did recall seeing an old photograph and a 1944 story in the Pensacola News Journal with the headline, “Lost Negro Aviator Dead”. So Mr. Murphy began to research the story about James Polkinghorne who grew up on Reus Street. The story includes interviews with James’ sister, Maggie and will introduce to a very inspirational young man.   

Stay safe and hope to see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment